Oct 7, 2013

The Sound Work Of Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity"



I don't know if you guys have had a chance to check out Gravity just yet, I won't talk much about it to avoid potential spoilers, but I have to say that I left the experience feeling that the sound work was just one of the many highlights in the film. Aside from the incredible attention to detail to accurately capturing the muffled soundscape of space, the behind the scenes documentary goes into just how many different stages mixer Skip Lievsay went into creating an immersive surround sound experience using some truly incredible tools.


The last time I remember feeling this way was with the original Dead Space, which also did an amazing job raising the bar in regards to sound design in space, which was typically treated in the past as being no different than Earth. This example of the type of attention to detail to every aspect of the movie that Alfonso Cuaron gave to his latest film gave me a renewed sense of appreciation for what he managed to accomplish with Gravity.

No comments:

Post a Comment