Jul 20, 2011

Rafael Albuquerque Is The Only Reason I Still Read 'American Vampire'


The upcoming American Vampire #17

With San Diego Comic-Con this week, I feel it's an appropriate time to go full out with comic book coverage. American Vampire started out sounding really interesting, a story of America's history filled to the brim with a secret society of vampires(who may or may not be impacting our everyday lives), co-written by Stephen King(at least the early issues) and lead by one of my personal favorite writers, Scott Snyder(seriously, read the most recent run of Detective Comics and try not to love the guy's style).

While the premise sounded fantastic and the team onboard sounded stellar, the series premiered with an extremely rocky start; it was all over the place. Most of the time it was difficult to understand what was going on without going back-and-forth between issues, and other than Skinner Sweet, the characters didn't quite stick with me. Yet I kept reading. Why? If the above cover-art doesn't answer that question, I'm not really sure what else to say.

Rafael Albuquerque has quickly become one of my favorite comic book artists and consistently puts out work that blows me away. I'd actually like to thank Albuquerque, because without him I wouldn't have stuck around with a series that has recently become one of my favorite. Despite it's rocky start, Scott Snyder has finally found solid footing which doesn't look to be losing traction anytime soon. Hit the jump to see a complete collection of Rafael Albuquerue's American Vampire work.

American Vampire #1
American Vampire #2
American Vampire #3
American Vampire #4
American Vampire #5
American Vampire #6
American Vampire #7
American Vampire #8
American Vampire #9
American Vampire #10
American Vampire #11
American Vampire #12
American Vampire #13
American Vampire #14

American Vampire #15
American Vampire #16

No comments:

Post a Comment