Jul 11, 2013

Spike Lee's Oldboy (NSFW)



I don't know how I feel about this movie, honestly. Park Chan-wook's Oldboy was a masterpiece in terms of South Korean cinema, the perfect blend of drama, action, and mystery the film was groundbreaking for the time. Seeing this trailer makes me feel as on-the-fence as the American version of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. On one hand, it's great to see a re-telling of such an amazing story, but on the other, is it really necessary? When you consider how similar this trailer looks to the original film it almost seems unnecessary to remake it, unless of course, it's that important to give Samuel L. Jackson a leading role.

 
I'm really interested to see how much of the story is left intact. There are a lot of taboo subjects I've yet to see in popular American cinema, so I'd be interested to see how far Spike Lee chooses to push the boundaries. I guess we'll all see come October 25th when Spike Lee's Oldboy hits theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment