Jun 25, 2013

Pacific Rim's Exclusive Limited Edition Posters



The hype continues to grow as Guillermo Del Toro's Kaiju/Mecha rock 'em sock 'em feature premiere draws nearer, the promotional, limited edition posters have begun to emerge with two amazing prints being premiered for IMAX theaters and Odd City Entertainment. The above poster is by LA artist Sergio Grisanti, which will be offered in select theaters to people who attend first showings of Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D. Check out this official list here to see if your local theater is participating in the promotion when the movie comes out July 12th.


The second poster is my preferred one for it's understated tone and retro monster flick sensibilities, created by Grzegorz Domaradzki (Gabz) for the collectors club Odd City (Similar to Mondo), which will be premiering July 2nd as part of a limited release of standard, wood, metal and gold foil variant prints. 

This is actually the first time I had an opportunity to work on something this big, so I was both excited and slightly overwhelmed at the beginning. Until now, I had worked on movies with plenty of references to be found on the Internet. In this case, I was mainly limited to the first teaser trailer that came out (pretty mind blowing by the way). 

I focused on Gipsy Danger, but instead of putting him in some type of massive sea battle, which was quite tempting, I proposed something inspired by World War 2 propaganda posters; something where the giant robot symbolizes the last stand of humanity. To better show the scale of the threat, I added a glimpse of the giant Kaiju hidden in the skyline. I’m pleased with the outcome and particularly with my version of the poster title, clearly inspired by Japanese apocalyptic cinema posters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment