Aug 2, 2012

VICE - How To Get Away With Stealing



I had a situation sometime last year at a dentist's office which definitely put me in a bad situation, when my card was declined working while trying to pay a bill for the appointment. It's embarrassing to find yourself in that situation, but what was even worse was discovering what had happened to the funds that I had, and the -6,000 dollar balance that all of a sudden popped up on my account. Mind blown, I called the bank and was asked questions like: 'Did you buy a $3,000 watch in London?' and 'What about purchasing 60 prepaid phone cards in Romania?' Needless to say trying to explain that was a grueling experience, and it took over a month to recover the stolen funds.

It turned out that a card skimmer on a local ATM had done the trick, and my information ended up on an online black market credit card database, only to be bought and used by unscrupulous people online. This brings us to the video created by VICE, which showcases the British fraud industry and the unapologetic mindset of the type of people who turn to that life to make a living. It's interesting to see it from their perspective, but it's nothing short of violating to know that these are the types of people who think identity theft, credit damage and stealing are viable ways to make a living. Also known as the 'f*** everyone but myself' mentality, the amount of narcissism in this video might give you a small headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment