Apr 18, 2011

RIP Encyclopedia Dramatica, Ohello Internet


In a bold move the creator of Encyclopedia Dramatica, Sherrod DeGrippo, shut down the site and replaced it with a new internet 2.0 website. This site, which certainly isn't a kid friendly watered down version of the original internet hate machine, is still a staple amongst large amounts of readers and has certainly taken the internet by storm.

DeGrippio's reasoning for the change in pace was that "Shock for shock’s sake is old at this point and we're looking forward to the future and how things are evolving... when you put user experience first, the language becomes highly important and that's what we’ve done." That's something I can agree with, though plenty of fans of the original site see it in a different light.

My opinion is that I don't really mind. I visited Encyclopedia Dramatica every once in a while but got really annoyed when the whole thing got logged down by personal drama. It was good for a laugh here and there. But Oh Internet is online and here to stay, and I'll keep my eye on the thing. Who knows what could happen?

1 comment:

  1. I sure feel like ED just pulled a Kotaku. This is not going to end well.

    ReplyDelete