Oct 31, 2013

A Trip To The Outer Limits of Fractal Geometry



Benoît Mandelbrot was a maverick pioneer of advanced mathematics who championed the idea of self-similarity, the theory that patterns of self-replicating occurence perpetuate throughout all forms of life on all scales of size, ad infinitum. This principle lies at the heart of geometric fractals, symmetrical shapes that when magnified on an infinitesimal scale resemble bizarrely intricate cathedrals, reminiscent of the masterfully macabre work of H.R. Giger as if filtered through the psychedelic uncanny valley lens of Reboot. I don't think I've had my mind warped this hard since the last time I did a rewatch of Peter Chung's Æon Flux. 

Above is an awesome compilation of some of the best the Internet has to offer, and below is one of my favorites with a music track that makes it sound like a special on the Discovery Channel.



No comments:

Post a Comment