Apr 16, 2012

LOL: The Butchering Of A Foreign Classic



It is only on a rare, rare occasion that we here at Awesome-Robo have the primal urge to stop a movie trailer less than 20 seconds in. Armed with the knowledge that this was a Miley Cyrus movie with a title based on internet-speak, I knew ahead of time what I was getting myself into. Nonetheless, I gave it a go. Not since the Twilight trailers have I been more annoyed or have rolled my eyes so incredibly hard; I'm surprised I didn't sever my optic nerve.

Apparently, this stupidly angsty teen flick is based off a much better, intelligent 2008 French film of the same name (see trailer below). While it seems the very basic storyline is similar (That's a stretch) to the American remake, that's where the similarities end. The original film was a poignant, bittersweet, sarcastic affair dealing with a girl coming of age in France with some definite adult themes. Whereas this movie takes the concept, strips it of personality and even throws in a Twlight actress for gods sake. Films about shallow teen 'problems' can be difficult to pull off as is, but can at least be redeemed if there is either some quality humor, and/or attempts are made to not be overly PC just because the main characters are teens ('But... but... What about the children?!').

Don't get me wrong. Silly, lighthearted comedic teen films can be fun. But if you're going to go the angsty, 'OMG, life is so haaaaard lets go to Paris' route, make it actually f*cking hard. We're not interested in, 'Boo, this guy I like is with another girl! Oh, I know: Let me change my Facebook status every two seconds to let everyone I know every minor piece of drama that goes on in my shallow life.' Is it similar, if not identical to how teens can act in real life? You bet your ass! Does an entire goddamn movie need to be made about it? Hell no.

No comments:

Post a Comment