Feb 25, 2012

The Art Of Ladrönn

Final Incal (Via)
Ladronn is one of the many talented French 'bande desinee' (French phrase for comic book) artists that most Western audiences really are not aware of. When I had a chance to visit Paris briefly I was nothing short of stunned at how many amazing, high quality comic books were being independently produced and distributed directly to the public. Its a system reminiscent of how the Japanese approach manga, in which its all about the artist and their creations, not the publisher.

Well that aside I recently ran into Ladronn's work, which really embodies the style that most French comic books have compared to say, a comic by Marvel. Its kind of hard to place but I'd say its a 50% drawn line/50% painterly approach that I really love. I'm not sure if Ladronn worked on the recent animated Incal reboot that we posted, but a lot of his work seems to pay tribute to the classic Moebius/Jodorowsky collaboration. Check out more of his art after the break, including his work on Hip Flask, Jonah Hex and the Hulk.










No comments:

Post a Comment