Sep 28, 2011

Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-Ray Preview Is 1 Minute 40 Seconds Of Beauty


Star Trek: The Next Generation will always have a place in my sci-fi loving heart. Whilst the original had the heart and soul, I still remember my VHS collection (currently being cleaned out of my attic with much heart break) and sitting down in my parents bedroom, watching the show with my dad. Now, the entire show is coming out on Blu-ray with all new effects.

The blu-ray, like the blu-ray releases of Star Trek: The Original series, will come with the remastered versions of the episode in HD and the original effects in SD. Why? It's complicated but let me try and explain.

The original show was filmed on 16mm film but transferred to tape for airing and the Special Effects. They are having to go back and remake EVERY effect via the original film negative because video does not transfer to HD. They are taking the negatives, remastering them to HD and then remaking the effects from scratch. Make sense? No? Well, it's going to take a while for the entire set to be released. And it will be worth it. That sneak peak is giving me chills just thinking about it.

Star Trek: The Next Generation will be released in high-definition Blu-ray, starting in January with a sampler of several popular episodes, followed by a season-one set to be released later on in 2012, and subsequent seasons beaming down after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment