Mar 29, 2012

A Look Back At Retro Gaming In Japan



This 14 minute video from the Japanese Youtube user/archivist known as Soikll3 covers over a decade of amazingly retro videogame adverts, covering everything from crude handheld LCD games, imported American systems, and glorified calculators up to the advent of the groundbreaking Nintendo Entertainment System (Famicom) and Super Nintendo. I honestly had no idea what the pre-Nintendo gaming landscape was like in  Japan till I saw this, so I can definitely appreciate the historical value of archiving and compiling these ads together.

As a bonus, I threw in another amazing compilation I found randomly while browsing Soikll's massive archive last night, featuring half a decade of hilarious ads that Arnold probably assumed the West would never know of.

No comments:

Post a Comment