Aug 12, 2012

Gotye - Save Me



I wouldn't be surprised if you're sick of hearing Gotye at this point, considering the amount of air time his breakout album, 'Making Mirrors' has been getting, but you have to admit that he accomplished on hell of a feat. The Aussie jack of all spades instrumentalist, vocalist and writer captured the international scene with his collab track starring Kimbra, 'Somebody That I Used To Know' and I'm hoping he'll be able to retain his creativity and versatility despite the awesome success he's accomplished.

One thing that I've loved is his approach to his music videos, which take me back to the highly experimental early 80's late 90's, especially his recently released video for 'Save Me,' which captures a retro feel that I can't quite put my finger on. The video perfectly accompanies the chill, uplifting track following an abstract entity making itself whole again. His 'Easy Way Out' video featured a more retro anime feel akin to Robotech, and his downtempo 'Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching' was beautifully hazy and smoky whereas 'State Of The Art' went a lot more campy and retrofutristic. Each music video has been a treat in itself, always pushing the envelope. As a bonus, he also put together a compilation video featuring dozens, if not hundreds of people covering 'Somebody That I Used To Know.' (Check it out after the break!)






No comments:

Post a Comment